Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Characters, Dialogue and Setting - Journal Assignment Exercise page 115

"Karen, there is no way your mother is staying here for two weeks. Every time she comes here I'm expected to put up with her condescending tone about how your brother makes so much money as a lawyer and why can't I get a better job to support you in the way you were accustomed."
"Bob, we go through this every year. You know Mom looks forward to these visits. Since my dad died Mom is all alone."
"Of course she's alone, who would want to be around her? I still think your dad died just to get away from her!"
"You are such an ass. They were married for 37 years. If he could put up with her for that long, you can put up with her for two weeks a year."
"Do you hear yourself? Put up with her. Karen, no one should have to put up with anybody, regardless of whether they are family or not. How about this, I'll compromise and she can stay here for a week. I'll promise to be on my best behavior and ignore 90% of her putdowns."
"What about the other 10%?"
"For those, all bets are off."
"How can we tell her she can only stay a week? Are you going to tell her?"
"Well, since I would have no problem telling her she can't come at all, I can certainly tell her that she can only stay a week."
"What reason are you going to give her? I don't want her to come her feeling like we don't want her all."
"How about this, I'll tell her that we forgot about a fishing trip we had planned. We can't get our deposit back, but I'll tell her we'd be more than happy to have her come with us."
"Oh yeah, like she would really want to go on a fishing trip? Oh wait, I get it. But what if she wants to come a week earlier to get her two weeks in? I know, we can tell her we've got plans during that week. Oh my God, I'm getting as devious as you!"
"See that, despite what your mother says I HAVE influenced you positively!"
"All right, we'll do this. But let me call her. I can broach the subject tactfully."
"As opposed to my tactless approach?"
"You said it and I agree with it. Let's look at the calendar and make sure we've got this all figured out. Knowing mom, she'll be asking questions about this mysterious fishing trip and the last thing I want is for her to find out I'm lying."

Instructor Feedback
Excellent writing throughout, Jim. Remember, description is the fuel which makes a story move for readers. Little fuel and the reader doesn't go too far; lots of fuel and the reader is taken on a trip around the world and back. . . as long as gas prices don't go much higher, of course!!! Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment