Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Writing a Short Short Short - Journal Assignment - Exchange of dialogue

“I’m so glad you finally accepted my dinner invitation Alice; I was beginning to think you didn’t want to go out with me.”
“Well, you get bonus points for persistence Robert; though I will say the singing telegram at my office was a bit much.”
“I thought that was a stroke of genius; how could you say no after that?”
“Believe me; what I wanted to say when I realized that telegram was for me was not something you would have wanted to hear.”
“Fair enough, let’s just say that tonight is the first night of the rest of our lives!”
“Do we have to?”
“I’ve got plans for us this Saturday. I thought we would go to the park; I’ll pack a lunch for us. Did I tell you I make a mean potato salad?”
“What the hell are you talking about! I agreed to go out to dinner with you; that’s it.”
“But don’t you think things are going well so far?”
“So far? Robert, we’ve been here ten minutes.”
“Ten minutes, an eternity, who can tell the difference?”
“Apparently everyone but you. I thought this might not be a good idea, and I was clearly right. I think I’m going to leave.”
“No, come on Alice, you promised you’d have dinner with me and we haven’t even ordered yet.”
“Fine, where’s the waiter.”
“I’m sure he’ll be here soon. So have you given much thought to how many children you’d like to have?”
“That’s it; I’m out of here.”
“What time should I pick you up on Saturday?”

Instructor Feedback
Purposeful exchange of dialogue, Jim. Try to develop taglines, though. They add further dimension and realness to a story driven by dialogue. And it's a good, subtle way to develop setting and characters. Plus, it helps readers to keep track of speakers, which is very important. Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment