Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Writing a Short Short Short - Journal Assignment - Uncovering Traumatic Memories

I really wanted the lead in our high school production of "The Pajama Game," but didn't get for a reason I, thankfully, found out only after the production was over. Instead, I was offered the comedic second lead; a role that, I was told, ultimately made the play one of the most memorable the school had ever put on. At the cast party, after the final performance, as I was basking in the glow of everyone telling me how great I was, I heard the director mention that I hadn't gotten the lead because he said I "looked like a geek and wouldn't be believable as a romantic lead"; I went from euphoria to sadness and humiliation in one second.

Instructor Feedback
Nice job working w/ concrete details; also try to weave in abstract ones, especially since we're moving into poetry now. Metaphor is a great device for doing this . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment