Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Speak Memory - Let's Write a Poem

Why I Stay Dry

Jaws terrified me as a child;
I avoided the ocean for years.
Winter break and Florida beckoned; I answered the call.
The ocean beckoned, but I did not answer.
Seagulls soared and cawed and
vacationers swam and played in the water; I
sat on the beach, enjoying the sun
and watching what others were doing.
Someone screamed shark;
and the whole beach seemed to scream at once.
People were running for the sand,
I saw a young girl get trampled.
I expected to see the ocean's blue turn to red;
it didn't happen.
Like viewing a car accident, I said I hoped everything was all right,
but secretly hoped I would see something "good."
The man beat off the shark and escaped
with his life, but
with a chunk out of his arm.
The ambulance took him away;
I saw in the paper the next day that he lost his arm.
Was this the answer to my wish to see something good?

Instructor Feedback
Very nice! I think this poem works well, reads easily down the page. What do you think? Oh, plus, there is one comma splice that needs your help. It's saying, "Help me; I don't want to be a sentence error forever!!! Please fix me!!!!" Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment