Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Writing a Short Short Short - Journal Assignment - Working with the Other Side of Your Brain

I didn't get the lead in our high school musical. I knew I was great and deserved the part, but instead it went to the "ken doll" of my class. I got the comedic sidekick role; which I knew was perfect for me, but I wanted the lead. It turned out the comedic sidekick was the real star of the play. After every performance people came up and told me how great I was. Still, I kept wondering why I really wanted the lead and I found out the hard way. I overheard the director say that I didn't get the part because I looked like a geek, not a "ken doll." I then realized why I so desperately wanted the lead; I wanted confirmation that I was good-looking enough for a lead role. What should have been the happiest night of my young life, turned into the saddest night, and affected me in negative ways for years to come.

Instructor Feedback
I have no way of knowing yet I'm always curious: Did you write this w/ the opposite hand, the hand you do not use? Did it affect how you think at all??

No comments:

Post a Comment