Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Experiment and Tradition - Let's Write a Poem

Freudian Fantasy

I see two people
I used to be friends with;
they call me to their car.
A man jumps in front of me and
shoots them both in the head.
They seem fine and continue to
beckon me.
I run away but they chase me in
the car.
I’m trapped against a wall.

I’m at a party with people I don’t know.
Why do people ignore me when I try
and talk to them?
I want to leave, but can’t;
where is the door?
The guests come at me with weapons.
I throw a chair through the window,
but the glass repairs itself.
I jump into a hole in the floor,
but it closes and traps me.
Closer they come, but never close enough
to do me harm.

I awaken to the sound of dogs barking;
not just a couple, but thousands of them.
They all stop barking and one of the dogs
tells me to throw my clothes
out the window. I grab them all
and toss them out. The dogs begin
fighting over the clothes and most
are killed.
Those left put on the clothes and leave.
A single dog knocks on my door. Where are
his clothes? I find him a pair of jeans.

The phone rings.
I answer it;
there’s no one at the other end.
The phone keeps ringing.
The handset turns into a hand and
pulls me in.
I’m in a refrigerator, and I’m smaller
than the food within.

Instructor Feedback
Great ending, Jim, and a fantastic poem: vivid and fun images throughout tell an interesting story. NIcely done. One thing: you use the work "beckon." Have you ever really used this word in a conversation?? Personally, I like to avoid language that you would hear during a day in your life. Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment